header

header

6.03.2009

Kennywood Park


In Pittsburgh, historic Kennywood Park is a yearly tradition every child looks forward to each summer. The words "Kennywood's open!" lets kids know that school is nearly out and a summer of fun is in store (in Pittsburgh, this is also the phrase used to let someone know their zipper is down...but I digress).



On Memorial Day, we packed up the car, slathered on the sunscreen and headed out the door to a day of fun. The Big Guy sacrificed solo ventures on his birthday to spend it with the kids on a day of junk food, spinning rides, and nausea.

Here are some of my favorite photos of our day:

Each yearly trip begins the same way, walking through the tunnel under the road that opens up to a view of the park.



A ride on the Kangaroo is always first (and my favorite ride). I challenge you to ride this without getting the giggles. Did you know this is the last working ride of it's kind in the U.S.?



Standing in line waiting for The Whip:


A ride on the Thunderbolt is the highlight of any trip. This old wooden coaster has topped many lists as the best wooden coaster in the U.S.



On a hot day, The Pittsburgh Plunge will cool you off. Kids crowd around the fence to experience the wall of water that shoots off the ride as the boat reaches the bottom of the hill.



Music Express is a bit much for me at my age (spinning bad) so the kids rode it solo.



Cosmic Chaos is fairly new and I was afraid I would be sick, but ended up throwing my hands in the air as I really felt like I was flying. Highly recommended!


Finally, we rode the Phantom's Revenge (a few times) and called it a day. (Click on the picture to see #1 Son and The Big Guy, the first seats in the 5th car back.)




It was the perfect spring day at Kennywood Park. (To learn more about Kennywood, click the link)

8 comments:

  1. Ugh. Spinning rides have ALWAYS been bad for me. It has nothing to do with my age! I used to get sick on the merry-go-round at the playground as a kid. I was probably 10 or 12 years old before I finally just accepted that I couldn't ride all of those fun rides that all the other kids could ride, but I had many pukey-sick moments leading up to it. I just didn't want to believe it!

    Glad the family had such fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer wouldn't be summer without Kennywood! We're already planning our annual trip! Of course my little guy's only 2 1/2 so I we'll be sticking to Kiddieland!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually threw up a whole crab leg dinner at the beach after riding at the boardwalk. My husband said that was such a waste just to ride the teacups :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. THAT looks like a day of funnnnnn. We get year round passes to Busch Gardens, but hold off till November (off season, believe it or not ... and the weather is PERFECTION) to have the park mostly to ourselves. :)

    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer, I was so happy to see this post.

    I love Kennywood and was living through your family's eyes for a few minutes there as I read through it.

    The tunnel, the Thunderbolt and the Whip... Brings back such great memories. I really need to get back there sometime soon.

    I actually thought of you and this post last week. I made a lightening fast day-trip home last Wednesday. I was in Greensburg in the morning and then Upper St. Clair in the afternoon. I drove by the exit for Kennywood and starting thinking about how you said you wre working on this post.

    Speaking of Kennywood, I heard they got rid of Noah's Arc. That sucks.

    GREAT POST!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stopping by from SITs.

    Those rides look like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a perfect day! You have a lovely family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just found your blog and love it! I have been reading past posts since I am from Pittsburgh.

    This Kennywood post almost brought me to tears, my oldest daughter was just there this summer visiting her grandparents! Oh how I love this park and it truly reminds me of my childhood growing up in Pittsburgh.

    So glad I found your blog. Love to see your kids decked out in black and gold!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work