header

header

9.23.2008

Defy Gravity!


I went to see Wicked this weekend and have to add it to my top 4 favorite shows. I love, love, love musical theatre, and in my strange second personality (while driving in my car) I am actually on stage. I love to watch it, listen to the soundtrack before and after a show, and discuss it with anyone who will listen (lucky you).

Pittsburgh Cultural District has a wonderful arts program and I love to take advantage of the shows featuring our local talent (Pittsburgh CLO) and the traveling talent (Pittsburgh Broadway Series) as often as possible.

I was invited to the Broadway production of Wicked by an old friend and we made a night of it, eating dinner at the popular Sonoma Grill (California style cuisine) then walking to the show. I was giddy with excitement to see the production I've heard about for so long. We sat down in our seats 7 rows from the stage and took in the fantastic staging before the curtain opened. It was an awesome 4 layered "steam punk" stage topped with a giant winged dragon-like creature who's eyes lit up and blew smoke.

The story of unlikely friendship was touching and hilarious, the costumes were whimsical and fantastically elaborate and topped with the most outrageous hairstyles, and the songs were perfect "modern Broadway". Each member of the ensemble sounded better than the next and I thoroughly enjoyed every second of the almost 3 hour production. It now joins my list of shows that I will see at any opportunity (including Les Miserables, Rent, and Phantom).

As I drove out of the city on Sunday night singing "Changed for good", I looked over my shoulder to see the backstage door at the rear of the theatre and noticed "Glinda the Good" standing on the sidewalk signing autographs. Pittsburgh really is a great theatre town.

4 comments:

  1. My mother-in-law went to see it too and raved about it. Pittsburgh is a great city for many reasons and our theater district is definitely one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have goosebumps!!!!......I've heard nothing but rave reviews!!...cherish your memories and excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i LOVE the wicked soundtrack. The book was just Ok for me.
    I TRIED to get tickets last time they came to charlotte, but they sold out all showings in less than 2 hours.
    still waiting for my chance to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is old, but I'm commenting. Jes and I went, I think, the same year. It was SOOOO good. She still listens and sings along to the soundtrack in her room. Have I said she's a weird kid? As a little aside, Jes told me that, if you watch Glee, the one who adopted Quinn's baby played Elphaba (sp?) in the broadway show and the one who played the drunken blonde friend from high school played Glenda. Only if you're a gleek will these things mean anything.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work